As the person responsible for learning outside the classroom (LOtC) at your school, it is vital that you keep up to date with the latest news, legislation and information relevant to this area.
We are writing to ensure you are aware of the Council for Learning Outside the Classroom (CLOtC) and the Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge as both exist to make it easier for you to implement safe and effective LOtC experiences in your own grounds and further afield.
To learn more about how CLOtC can support you in integrating LOtC across the curriculum, and in particular how the LOtC Quality Badge can provide assurance and reduce bureaucracy for you and your colleagues please go to these websites:
Take action to increase your effectiveness and competence as an Educational Visits Coordinator:
- Sign up here to receive free updates from CLOtC
- Ask for the LOtC Quality Badge when choosing venues/providers for LOtC
- Access the support available from CLOtC and inform your colleagues
In Warwickshire using a provider holding the LOtC Quality Badge will help you reduce red tape. For Warwickshire LA managed establishments and others directly supported through the LA, using a provider holding the LOtC Quality Badge will mean that the visit organiser/party leader/EVC will not be required to:
- Request copies of providers risk assessments,
- Request copies of providers operational procedures
- Request details of providers Insurance cover
To find organisations in your region who already hold the LOtC Quality Badge, and have undergone a rigorous application process to demonstrate good quality and safe educational provision visit www.lotcqualitybadge.org.uk/search.
If you know of any providers not listed here who you think would qualify for the LOtC Quality Badge please suggest they apply, and email their details to email@example.com so that we may assist them in making an application, to ensure less form filling for you and your colleagues.
Support for schools from CLOtC
CLOtC’s role is to help schools offer frequent, continuous and progressive LOtC experiences for all children regardless of age, ability and personal circumstances. LOtC has the most benefit in expanding horizons, raising attainment, improving behaviour and re motivating children who do not engage well in the classroom environment when the experiences are integrated across the curriculum, rather than being a one off school trip. The following support has been developed to help you overcome the barriers to LOtC and make the most of the LOtC opportunities available for your young people.
Support from CLOtC:
- FREE online guidance to help you plan, run and evaluate effective LOtC experiences is available at www.lotc.org.uk
- Sign up to stay in touch and receive free updates and information from CLOtC
- CLOtC membership for schools will help you access ideas, share information online with other teachers, access enhanced resources and keep up to date with the latest news through a termly newsletter. To receive more information about membership email firstname.lastname@example.org or join online at www.lotc.org.uk/membership
- Access to local and national events for teachers, and the support of your local LOtC Network. To receive more information on the latest events email email@example.com
COMING SOON… We are constantly developing services to support educational establishments in doing more LOtC. This autumn we will be launching:
- The LOtC Mark, an accreditation scheme recognising educational establishments offering good quality LOtC integrated into the curriculum. If you are interested in becoming an early adopter email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coming soon! LOtC Resource Packs featuring lesson ideas for each key stage in English and Science & Maths.
- “Planning an LOtC curriculum”, bespoke training to enable you to embed LOtC in the life of your school. If you are interested in further details, please email email@example.com